The Picnic Home Allergy Test tests for 294 potential allergens. Full instructions are shipped with your test kit and available online here.
Here's an overview of what you can expect when taking the test:
- Prep your materials by opening the kit and taking everything out of the box. You'll want to uncap the sample tube and open the alcohol swap, gauze, and bandage halfway.
- Wash your hands with warm water for 30 seconds and get your blood pumping. You can do jumping jacks, run around the room for a bit - whatever you prefer to get your blood pumping! The sooner you take your test after doing this, the better your blood will flow. You'll then use the alcohol swab to clean the finger you're going to prick (we recommend the middle or ring finger of your non-dominant hand).
- Twist the tip of the lancet to remove the cap and rest the hand you're going to prick palm up on a hard surface. You'll then place the tip of the lancet on the pad of the fingertip you've cleaned and press firmly until you hear a click. Clean the first drop of blood you see with another alcohol wipe.
- Now it's time to fill the sample tube! Position your arm so it's downward over the tube — you'll want your elbow higher than your hand and your finger over the tube. You may need to stand up for this! Then, massage your wrist to let the blood flow into the tube until it reaches the line. If the blood stops flowing before you reach the line, repeat steps 2-4 with another finger using the spare alcohol wipes and lancet. When you've filled the tube to the 600-microliter line, use the gauze and bandage to stop the bleeding.
- Press the cap firmly on the sample tube — you'll hear a click when it's secure! Flip the tube upside down and back 10 times to mix up the solution. You'll also need to write your date of birth on the sample tube. Then, place the tube in the plastic bag and pack it into the prepaid return envelope.
- You must mail your envelope within 24 hours.
- Activate your test — your unique activation code is found on the welcome card in your test kit.
When your test results are ready, you'll receive an email to let you know your results are available to view within your Picnic account.